Friday, April 1, 2011

Trouble Atop Pluto Base

I crawled along the beam, trying not to look down, and admittedly, scared out of my mind. I neared the complex ever so slowly, and hoped that the beam would hold. They were building a base on this planet, and exploding methane had sent me flying, harshly landing here, on a beam high above the ground near the top of the base. I passed out when I made contact with the beam, and woke up nearly three hours later. So now, with a small cut under my right ear, and a broken left leg, I neared the elevator that construction workers were using to reach various areas of the building. Just as I was getting on the elevator, disaster struck. One of the four main support beams gave way, and the section of the construction area I was on began to collapse. A fast reaction by the construction crew stopped the collapse, but after sliding just over thirty feet, I was hanging off one of the northern beams, hanging on for dear life. A large cherry picker was on its way, but I was slipping, fast. All of a sudden I heard a cracking sound. This was an older beam that they were trying to reuse, and it was nearing its breaking point...

To be continued...

6 comments:

  1. I really like your descriptive word choice. That is usually one of your strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're really good at writing fiction stories. It's very original and descriptive. You should remember to put in an Author's Note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you are a great writer. Especialy when it comes to fiction and drama stories. And like Monica said, remmber to put in an author's note. Keep up the good work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This piece was really creative.I can definitely hear your voice coming through in this piece. You are a really good fiction writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you like this piece, check out part two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a cool piece. I liked the suspense at the end of your story. It was very creative.

    ReplyDelete